Author Topic: Raw Mint (how much)  (Read 4962 times)

kylekash

Raw Mint (how much)
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
How much is too much. I have not found an answer. Can I eat a bowl of Chocolate mint, Orange Mint mixed with English Mint with some sliced fuit? About 2 Cups loosely packed?
I did make some tasty orderves once of a single Orange mint leaf and one grape on a toothpick. Still was unsure If I could eat too much and get sick, so I only ate a few every now and then, but really like them.

Green Deane

• Administrator
    • Eat The Weeds, and Other Things, Too
Re: Raw Mint (how much)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
Mint is a spice. At some point you can eat too much, just as one can eat too much black pepper. That said there is quite a lot of dried mint in taboule. You're going to have to find your own tolerance level.

kylekash

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »
Thanks! good advice.

Is it also safe to say that the stems are edible too, just not the roots

I also found this, altho it may vary depending on the type of Mint. Orange Mint has the least Menthol and I think Peppermint has the most.
One Serving, according to the article was based on 7/8 cup=100 grams of I guess fresh "chopped" Mint:

Moisture - 84.9 g, Protein - 4.8 g, Fat - 0.6 g, Minerals - 1.9 g, Fibre - 2 g, Carbohydrate - 5.8 g, Calcium - 200 mg, Phosphorus - 62 mg, Iron - 15.6 mg, Carotene - 1620 μg, Thiamine - 0.05 mg, Niacin - 1 mg, Riboflavin - 0.26 mg, Folic Acid (Free) - 9.7 μg, Folic Acid (Total) - 114 μg, Vitamin C - 27 mg, Magnesium - 60 mg, Copper - 0.18 mg, Manganese - 0.57 mg, Zinc - 0.44 mg, Chromium - 0.008 mg, Oxalic Acid - 33 mg, Phytin Phosphorus - 4 mg
, Energy - 48 Kcal

from: lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/benefits-of-mint-1808.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:26:36 PM by kylekash »

Chris@Jax

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
Moisture - 84.9 g, Protein - 4.8 g, Fat - 0.6 g, Minerals - 1.9 g, Fibre - 2 g, Carbohydrate - 5.8 g, Calcium - 200 mg, Phosphorus - 62 mg, Iron - 15.6 mg, Carotene - 1620 μg, Thiamine - 0.05 mg, Niacin - 1 mg, Riboflavin - 0.26 mg, Folic Acid (Free) - 9.7 μg, Folic Acid (Total) - 114 μg, Vitamin C - 27 mg, Magnesium - 60 mg, Copper - 0.18 mg, Manganese - 0.57 mg, Zinc - 0.44 mg, Chromium - 0.008 mg, Oxalic Acid - 33 mg, Phytin Phosphorus - 4 mg
, Energy - 48 Kcal

Heck, I would say based on this, one should indeed eat that  almost full cup of mint a day. That's one good boost of trace minerals!

LiquidAwesome

• Back in the USA, still traveling
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 02:33:59 AM »
Imagine that. All those leaves on the bottom of my mojito glass are actually good for me. Though muddled I would still get a healthy drink without having to actually eat the leaves, I would think!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

5piceHunter

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:12:28 AM »
if you grow mints be warned of the dreaded oregano (meaning don't grow them close to each other)...they will hybridize with the mints and create franken-spawn mints :o Fresh oregano has never quite appealed to me...and the dried should be used sparingly... once made a tea out of dried oregano...certainly has disinfectant properties...it also tastes like an old leather boot! :o Not sure when or where I got a taste of an old leather boot...but that is a tale for a different forum post.  ::)
Beware of the Thread Monster

Green Deane

• Administrator
    • Eat The Weeds, and Other Things, Too
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »
if you grow mints be warned of the dreaded oregano (meaning don't grow them close to each other)...they will hybridize with the mints and create franken-spawn mints :o Fresh oregano has never quite appealed to me...and the dried should be used sparingly... once made a tea out of dried oregano...certainly has disinfectant properties...it also tastes like an old leather boot! :o Not sure when or where I got a taste of an old leather boot...but that is a tale for a different forum post.  ::)

Yes... when I think of substance abuse it is usually how most folks use oregano... way too much... but then again that's how I think: My cat Couscous is my lap top and my other cat, Ollie, has constant attention deficit disorder...

myakka

• Woodsman
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
Imagine that. All those leaves on the bottom of my mojito glass are actually good for me. Though muddled I would still get a healthy drink without having to actually eat the leaves, I would think!

And if you let it sit for a bit, you can call it a tincture, so you're not "drunk", you're medicated;D
Skills Beats Stuff

LiquidAwesome

• Back in the USA, still traveling
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
And if you let it sit for a bit, you can call it a tincture, so you're not "drunk", you're medicated;D

I like your thinking! It's not a dirty martini; it's tinctured olives!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Janos

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Kyle, if you are talking about eating mint, I'd not go more than a half a loose cup of raw leaves. 'Spices' aren't meant to be a main course. They're meant to add flavor and zest. Or make a great tea from. But I'd not sit there and munch down a whole salad.