Author Topic: Jersulem artichokes aka Sunchokes? Bumper Crop  (Read 604 times)

mariemorris

• New Poster
    • Wild Pantry
Jersulem artichokes aka Sunchokes? Bumper Crop
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
I have a bumper crop of sunchokes and wanted to dehydrate some. Question? Do I blanch before I slice or do I blanch the whole tuber and then slice. Do they dehydrate well? Sunchoke chips sounds good. Any preservation tips much appreciate. Thank you in advance.
Eat on the wild side of Mother Nature....Forage.

Green Deane

• Administrator
    • Eat The Weeds, and Other Things, Too
Re: Jersulem artichokes aka Sunchokes? Bumper Crop
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »
Gash... I never blanched at all. I either washed them and at them raw, or on occasion when I did cook them it was rinse and into the pot or  pan. Isn't blanching for when you plan on freezing them? When cooked they get mushy mighty fast, and, usually when dried they are made into flour. And out of the ground the last only about two weeks. I'd be tempted to just slice thin and dry.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:16:38 PM by Green Deane »

Janos

Re: Jersulem artichokes aka Sunchokes? Bumper Crop
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't blanch anything starchy. It starts to deteriorate the cell walls. Blanching is primarily for freezing. I use it for greens and the like.

If you are going to dehydrate something starchy, just slice thinly and dry.  I wouldn't even wash them first unless you absolutely had to. A dry toothbrush works well for getting the dirt off, in most cases.