Author Topic: Can I Grow Avocados Outside in NC... Or Would They Croak?  (Read 4537 times)

Mozartghost17912

• World's Leading Expert in the Field of Mad Science
Can I Grow Avocados Outside in NC... Or Would They Croak?
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
I occasionally have some avocado seeds taken from my gobbled down avocados. I stuck one in my toad tank and now it has a 3 inch sprout emanating from its top.
I wonder if I stuck some in the ground outside if they'd turn into trees without issue... or if they'd croak (that's Hillbilly Latin for die) as soon as the weather got too hot or too cold. I hear they work fine in nice weather from 65-85 Fahrenheit or so, which is what it is most of the year here... but occasionally it hits 105 in the Summer, and 18-20 in the winter, so I don't know what would happen. It's not like I have anything better to do with the seeds, (other than using them as cheap imitation ping pong balls), but if any of you have had success with Avocados, I'd like to hear it.
"What about their legs? They don't need those!" -Lord of the Rings, forgot which episode...

heather

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I Grow Avocados Outside in NC... Or Would They Croak?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
I think it really depends on which type you grow.  The Guatemalan varieties may be able to go down to that, but it's going to be very close.  Perhaps find a bit of an area with a micro climate, because although 16 might be an average temp, but an 'average' is just that.  You may have years when it gets colder and years when it stays warmer.  The trees are most susceptible when they are young. 
A woman can get more done with a lipstick than a man can with a Winchester and a side of bacon.

Josey

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
The seeds won't survive the winter.  They're not the hardy variety Heather is talking about.  I have an avocado tree, but I bring it inside every winter.  It's in a big terracotta pot.  I also know someone locally who grows an avocado tree in a greenhouse.

You might be able grow the hardy varieties in coastal North Carolina, but I don't think there's any variety that will survive outdoors in the western Piedmont.

Edible Landscaping in Virginia sells some hardy varieties that might interest you.  They'll likely survive the winter in an unheated sun room.  I'd would look into the cultivated varieties anyway because the seeds aren't true to the fruit variety they come from.  The fruit will likely be inferior.  All commercial avocados are grafted trees.  There's hundreds of varieties you choose from to graft.  Get several grafted trees for good pollination and bring them inside during winter.  After the trees have matured (about 5 years), they might set fruit (My tree is even older and has never flowered once).

Dew

• Global Moderator
  • Balance Idealism and Realism & make Progress
    • Home building site
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »
I have two avocodos that I bring inside during the winter.. they are two years old... it got down in the mid 40's one night and I had left them out and it killed off a few leaves... I've read that a frost is not survivable...
Do you civic duty - "Think for yourself today". #Advocating Individualism

Green Deane

• Administrator
    • Eat The Weeds, and Other Things, Too
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
My avocado tree is 12 years old (in the ground.) It has survived two light freezes, around 30F. ) It does suffer for it but still hanging in there. My mango, however, died.

Mozartghost17912

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
Well well... looks like they're leaning to the 'croak'-ing side then! Who knows these days! Maybe I'd try it anyway, just to be slick, but thanks for the input. I won't expect much of the creepy little seeds.  :o
"What about their legs? They don't need those!" -Lord of the Rings, forgot which episode...

Dew

• Global Moderator
  • Balance Idealism and Realism & make Progress
    • Home building site
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
stick some toothpicks (4) in them and hover them over a glass of water with the water level about half way up on the seed... they will germinate.. chances are good they will grow roots... check online for a video
Do you civic duty - "Think for yourself today". #Advocating Individualism

Mozartghost17912

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
Germination isn't the problem... I have one in my toad tank that's already 4 inches tall. The problem is getting the climate right for them to make fruit. Maybe I'll try sweet potatoes.

Steve

• Medicinal and Edible Plants
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »
The 'mexicola' cultivar is pretty hardy, it will take down to about 18 degrees.  I have one that I planted last year.  It took a few nights down to about 23 and did not show any stress.  Creating or planting it in a micro climate should help.  I build up a little berm with rocks around it to both help cold air drain and to help radiate stored heat at night.  My avocado has been putting on new growth since its been warming up.

Mozartghost17912

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Any specific place to get this cultivar?

Steve

• Medicinal and Edible Plants
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »
Lowes happen to have this cultivar, so I bought it there.  I'm not sure who else has it.  I bet you can find it online.