Author Topic: Crab apples  (Read 718 times)

jeffroy42

• White Mountain Wild Edibles
Crab apples
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Hello all  :)   I'm wondering about making jelly, juice, and other products by boiling crab-apples.. and the possibility of the product containing cyanide from the crab apple seeds.  I know that eating an entire apple, seeds and all, is no issue for most people..  but what about when you boil 50 crab apples and all those seeds?   Does the boiling destroy the cyanide?  Are there any precautions to use, such as boiling time?   Thank you very much! 

Green Deane

• Administrator
    • Eat The Weeds, and Other Things, Too
Re: Crab apples
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
The answer is I don't know. That said in other members of the species, Pyracanthas for example, one cooks seeds and all just making sure they are strained out. And when one makes cider the seeds are left in. If anything the cooking drives off the cyanide. That is why bamboo shoots are cooked.  Maybe Heather knows.

jeffroy42

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
thanks for the quick reply.  For information's sake, I made a couple batches of jelly and a couple batches of juice.  Crab apples & seeds boiled, then strained.  I consumed all of it over a couple weeks, and had no ill effects.

heather

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
That's exactly what my family has done with crabapples for many years.   The National Center for Home Food Preservation  also says it's ok.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/crab_apple_spiced.html
A woman can get more done with a lipstick than a man can with a Winchester and a side of bacon.

jeffroy42

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
Thanks Heather  :)  and for what it's worth, I trust your family experience far more than any institution w/ the word "national" in it   ;)   good info nonetheless though 

mikeconroy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
I too make crabapple jelly without removing the seeds. No ill effects here - though last years jelly was a bit off flavor due to the drought. Looking forward to this years harvest.
Mike
Technician class KD0NJV

bastardtoadflax

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
I would certainly be dead by now if boiling crab apples with seeds were lethal. The boiling temperature of prussic acid is 79 F. That means crushed seeds in the sun of these sorts of fruits are boiling off the toxin on a warm day which is why so many Indians lived from it. My wife as a child told me she at raw plum seeds as did everyone else and up to ten I am told. Not recommended at all, but just to give some perspective.

crab apple jelly is my favorite. There is no need for pectin or acidifying with the ones in my area, Sets every time. Though last year I added it to a dessert apple wine.

bastardtoadflax

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
Speaking of crab apples my new favorite procedure is to freeze them and then thaw before putting them into a press. I believe I have some Dolgos. Makes a really nice cider which can of course follow Deans hard cider procedure with a bit a sugar added unless one likes it pretty dry. Very good straight up.