Author Topic: Appalachian Outlaws  (Read 1355 times)

heather

• Global Moderator
Appalachian Outlaws
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
I don't have a working television, but do watch a few things on Hulu.  The History channel is airing the first episode of Appalachian Outlaws.  It's a reality show about gingsing collection, illegal and otherwise.  Frankly, it looks heavily set up and some stuff looks recreated.  But the scenery and story are amazing.
A woman can get more done with a lipstick than a man can with a Winchester and a side of bacon.

SlowRide13

• HoofRehab.com
Re: Appalachian Outlaws
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
I just watched some of the previews on YouTube.
As an Appalachian hillbilly, I'm 50% disgusted, and 50% that'll keep the city folk on pavement;D
"No longer lend you strength to that which you wish to be free from."   J. Kilcher

Janos

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
Thanks Heather. I'll have to give it a watch as soon as I'm done with watching Bucky epically fail at his outing in "Surviving the Wilderness 2". His buddy did better than he's doing. ;) Thus far anyway. I'm only about halfway through the 30 odd videos.

myakka

• Woodsman
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »
As an Appalachian hillbilly, I'm 50% disgusted, and 50% that'll keep the city folk on pavement;D

I cringed when I saw the "Moonshiners" show.    It reminds me of Hollywood when they started shooting their first westerns, where the start wore heavy make-up, and the acting was over the top.  Johnny Goodguy could only wear a white hat, etc.   Westerns then were a characteriture (sp) of the true west.  That's what these programs are to me.  They seem like people with no clue who we are, or who our people have been, but complete outsiders, dressing in over-alls and pretending to be hillbilly.  They claim to be telling the "inside" story of people that they have no clue about.

The only recent show that had any kind of resonance is called "hillbilly blood" and the plot and episode development are weak at best.  My only reason for giving it any credit is that I think most of the local folk that the 2 "stars" are interacting with might be at least a little genuine.  And the theme that it deals with, ( hillbilly ingenuity and ability to create) is a true thing.  I can't tell you some of the crazy inventions I have seen, but were just making do with what was on hand.  So in this regard, hillbilly blood does at least try to tell something true, even if it does a poor job of it.

The rest of these shows are so sadly fake, they are pathetic.
Skills Beats Stuff

froglevel

• Farmer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
I didn't like the show. Typical hollywood tv nonsense, everything out of proportion.

aktrekker

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »
The networks are in it to make money, period. That requires viewers. To get viewers they will tell any tall tale they can dream up, and present over-the-top stereotypes. Anything to make people tune-in and shut down their brains.

And it's caricature.  ;)

myakka

• Woodsman
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:57 AM »
caricature       8) noted.
Skills Beats Stuff

Passiflora

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »

When I watched Deliverance, I thought, maybe that will keep the Yankees from coming down here and developing the beautiful areas in North GA and AL.  ;)

Josey

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »
I saw the first episode.  I don't give it good ratings.  Ginseng is being overharvested nearly to extinction in the wild.  Many speculate the species will be put to extinction in the wild within 20 years.  The show, or at least the first episode, did not convey that.

If you do watch it, the plant you see near the beginning of show pointed out as "black cohosh" is rather a different but related plant known as "doll's eyes", Actaea pachypoda.  I would expect the fact checkers to do a better job editing.

heather

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »
As I said, the show was heavily scripted.   But I think that it brought a great deal of awareness to the over harvesting issues of a great number of our native herbs.   Especially, the Chinese demand.
A woman can get more done with a lipstick than a man can with a Winchester and a side of bacon.

Green Deane

• Administrator
    • Eat The Weeds, and Other Things, Too
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:18:46 AM »
Plants fight back. One of the deaths on record from hemlock involved two brothers in Maine in the 90s. They were on islands looking for gensing when one of the brothers found this interesting root and took two bites of it. Then a while later his brother tried one bite. After rushing to the hospital, the two-bite brother died, the one-bite was saved. There's no need to get into the stupidity involved...

Yeehaw

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
I would really like to see real documentaries come back. I enjoyed learning about ginseng, but it was really an introduction. Probably due to advertiser's demands there seems to be a lot of psuedo drama and stereotypes planted in today's TV shows for entertainment. I blame 'reality TV'.

Mozartghost17912

• World's Leading Expert in the Field of Mad Science
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
Plants fight back. One of the deaths on record from hemlock involved two brothers in Maine in the 90s. They were on islands looking for gensing when one of the brothers found this interesting root and took two bites of it. Then a while later his brother tried one bite. After rushing to the hospital, the two-bite brother died, the one-bite was saved. There's no need to get into the stupidity involved...
So they found a root and just ate it? Not too bright!  :o
"What about their legs? They don't need those!" -Lord of the Rings, forgot which episode...

Janos

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Darwin wins again!  ;D