Author Topic: The Boy Scouts  (Read 2176 times)

Dew

• Balance Idealism and Realism & make Progress
    • Home building site
Re: The Boy Scouts
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
When I was a teenager, there were times when I shot 40 or more migratory birds in a day... not usually far less.  I'm not proud of it.  They were helpless.

The things we do when we were younger.  I remember once skinning a green lizard alive so that I could watch its heart beat and lungs breath.  I shot lizards off logs, trees etc with my bb gun, later pellet gun... I got a .22 at the age of 12... by the age of 15 I got my first deer rifle and I had grown out of the attrocities of my younger days... I was looking for clean kills and only things I would eat.

I can remember when I got a conscious... I shot a helpless lizard with my bb gun.. it was still alive.. it was the "still alive" part that got me.... I actually put some medicine on its wounds (the bb went through it) and somehow patched the wounds and let it go.. I swear a year later I cought a lizard that had two scars on its belly... lol ..
Do you civic duty - "Think for yourself today". #Advocating Individualism

heather

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
My grandfather killed every bear he came across.  He was a rancher and farmer and bears were the enemy to his ranch, his livestock and his family.  He also killed turtles because 'they ate his bass'.

Likewise, my father.  He killed every coyote he saw. 

Then one day he realized he liked hearing them at night.  And he never killed another.

Times change.  Social mores change.

It's neither right nor wrong.

It just is.

I've been dealing with a number of predators in my chickens lately.  I keep the coop shut up tight at night and I've completely covered it in chain link.  But sometimes, I gotta do what I gotta do.  Especially when they start thieving chickens in broad daylight.  I sell my eggs. 

I believe that hunting has an important place in wildlife management and it comes back to saving a species. 
But I have little patience with poachers or those folks that say 'they have to hunt to feed they're family'.  Especially when they're driving a Ford F series and carrying an expensive rifle.

Just my rant. 
A woman can get more done with a lipstick than a man can with a Winchester and a side of bacon.

Mechanicalmayham

• Not all who wander are lost.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
I heard something about that mentioned refering to him, though it was stated as he was a really avid hunter of game. Kind of odd when you think about it.

Heather, I found no reference to foraging in the 9th edition 12 printing of The Official Boy Scouts Handbook (circa 1988) I really thought there was one. Maybe it was in an older book. There is an abundance of references to making fire using primitive skills, fire plows, pistons, flint and steel, quartz, magnifying glass and such, and none regarding Leave No Trace
OK Mechanic, Better Cook and the Highest Order of Slacker!

Dew

• Home building site
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
The snake would have been dead if it were on my property and not a public park.  I killed three last year on my property.  I contemplated killing that one since a lot of people walk down that trail, but it could have been illegal to do so.

I understand the balance, but when it comes to protecting those you love, or protecting your livestock you realize that personal is personal and business is business.

About 6 years ago, i came home late one night to see one of the horses out.  Most of my horses were nice.  I broken all of them myself.  There was one (the smartest one) that liked to do things like kick at you on occasion, was you too close to tree limbs, brush you up against the fence.  Anyway, like i said.. it was dark, and i the horse was out.. i thought it was one of the other dun horses (the nice one)... right at the gate her stuborn ass stopped... on purpose... i was standing near the rear... had I known it was her, i would not.. but i gentlly popped her rear and she kicked me full force just a few inches to the right of the family jewels... it was then i realized who kicked me, stumbled inside, turned the bedroom light on and grabbed my pistol.. i was in a rage.. it could have very well been one of my children that got kicked in the head...

if it were not for my (then) wife, she would have got a bullet in the head that night... instead she talked me into putting the gun down, but she didn't stop me from getting the baseball bat... I got one good lick in... and was limping across the field to try and get a second... but she was wiser this time and faster...

Dew

• Home building site
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »
when I find that old manual, i'll let you know the year... there were color diagrams of the edible wild plants...

heather

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
I wonder if they did away with the badge for liability reasons...
A woman can get more done with a lipstick than a man can with a Winchester and a side of bacon.

Mozartghost17912

• World's Leading Expert in the Field of Mad Science
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
One of my friends is into the Boy Scouts, goes on big camping trips.
I once asked if they trap or hunt animals for food, or forage plants.
He looked shocked. Said "They don't like people like that in the boy scouts..."

Personally, I dropped out when they installed a gas line to the fire pit in the "Scout Arena", literally because they DID NOT KNOW how to start a real fire.
They used logs too. Huge logs... Logs so big it took an hour of gas fire to catch them.
"What about their legs? They don't need those!" -Lord of the Rings, forgot which episode...